Wednesday, May 2, 2012

WIP: Pinwheel Edition


I have a finish! My pinwheel quilt, Polka Dot Attack Pinwheel! is complete, and with our summer move looming in the very near future, it's none too soon! This is my second big finish of the year.


I started this quilt in late December or early January, I can't remember, and I finished piecing the quilt top in February, but it sat unloved in a closet because I had numerous problems with it. First, the fabric I had picked out for a border didn't work with the pieced top. I decided to forgo a border, but I didn't like the quilt's size sans border, so I pieced together another strip of log cabins (thank goodness for over-purchasing fabric) and attached that, which meant I had to also add a strip of fabric to the backing material because it wasn't wide enough. And with the extra row of log cabins, suddenly my original quilting idea wasn't going to work, and that's when it went into the closet. It was too stressful to think about. 

In April, I pulled it out again and got to work. With the excellent advice of my quilting sensei, K, we devised a new quilting strategy. The lines are spread out, but I think this will lead to a very snuggly quilt.


I LOVE the backing fabric. I was crazy about the black and white print from the moment I laid eyes on it, but adding a long strip of polka dot material with pops of colors from the front made me go gaga. I think my favorite part of this quilt is that it's staying with me! I've already enjoyed snuggling with it on my couch.

I'm also working on the May block for the HST QAL, but at this point, I've only cut my triangles and squared them up.

I'll sadly have to take a break from quilting to get packed up and on the road, but know that I'll be thinking about my sewing machine longingly. I'm linking up with Freshly Pieced.


WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

6 comments:

  1. Audrey, it looks amazing!!! The front is gorgeous, and the back is, if you'll excuse me for slipping back into my Massachusetts ways, wicked awesome. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you!!! I just pulled it out of the dryer, and it's all crinkly and cuddly. I LOVE this quilt. Also, "wicked awesome" is a phrase that should be used often. :)

      Delete
  2. I love this quilt. I think it might be my favorite of yours so far. =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I think it might be my favorite too! :)

      Delete
  3. This is such a bright, cheerful quilt! I love the backing fabric, and the front black/white polka dot as well. Congrats on the finish, and good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! I think the backing fabric is my favorite. :)

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...