Friday, April 25, 2014

FF: Mama's Quilt Top.

Friends, I am so excited this one is done! My Mama's birthday is in June, and I'm hoping to have it all done for realz by then. She knows I'm making her a quilt, but I've decided to not show her any more progress photos or give her any progress reports, and then I'm just going to mail it and have it be a surprise.

Which will be awesome. I love surprise quilt bombing people.


Using blocks from Stash Bee, I got this bad boy almost pieced last week, and then I ran out of border fabrics. Seriously, I was missing like six inches. A quick trip to the LQS solved that, and BAM. Here she is! My mama's quilt top.

Now, as much as I would have liked to go crazy on this one--she is my Mama, and I want her to have my absolute best work--I also knew she wouldn't like anything crazy, so I went with a classic yum block, sashing, cornerstones, a border, and even white background fabric. A bit old school. (I tried to convince her to let me do black background fabric, but she's the Mama, and she had her way.) However, I may have gone a little crazy in my color palette, so this quilt still has my mark on it. My poor Mama. But I guess you could say it's at least partially her fault that I am the way that I am. 


I chose the Weathervane block using a great tutorial from Don't Call Me Betsy. I seriously love this block, and I recently made another version for Allison's quilt for the Fierce Quilters Bee. The top measures 54" x 68".

Yum. Now. I just have to figure out how to quilt it.

I'm linking up with TGIFF, this week, hosted by A Quilting Reader's Garden. 

29 comments:

  1. Wow, look at those colours! I've just gone and pinned the tutorial; love your top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love the block as much as I do! I also love that it's got squares, HSTs, and geese, so a little bit of everything. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! That's seriously amazing! I bet your Mama loves it! And presents like this need to have a little of our personality in it, because otherwise you could have just bought it any-old-where.
    E xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a great quilt!! I'm sure Mama's gonna love it!!! Absolutely love the vibrant colors :-)

    ~ Jess (a.k.a. Rosie) ~
    Everything Is Coming Up Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously hope so! But my Mama is so sweet that I would never ever know if she didn't. :) It's such a happy quilt. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Hahaha yes, you should definitely put some blame on her for how you turned out! ;) but I love how bright and happy it is, and I'm sure she will too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, I hear from MY daughter all the time how it's all my fault, so yup, your mom must have something to do with you ;-) This is stunning, and the colors just glow! Lucky mom...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, that's awesome. But your daughter sounds super cool, so I'd take it as a compliment. :) Actually, my father is probably more to blame for my craziness, but I'm hoping I do have some of my mom to mellow it out! :)

      Delete
  6. The colors are spectacular, and I think the white sets them off so much more than black might have, even though I'm a big fan of black in sashing and borders. I hope she will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I think you're right. I was disappointed, but working with white makes me so nervous because I'm sure it'll get filthy before I'm done. (Two small boys will do that.) But so far, so good, and it really brings the colors to life. :) Thank you!

      Delete
  7. you and your mom together are a great blend of traditional and a bit crazy! that makes for a cool quilt. she's going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, that's awesome. I really hope she likes it! I'm so different from my Mama, but in a lot of ways, we're similar too. I like to think the best ways. :) Thank you!

      Delete
  8. Love your color choices. So bright and fun. Happy Birthday Mama

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt came out beautifully! Your Mama will love it! It's so cool to see my block in there too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous colours- it's so fun to make something special for someone you love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like that bright orange popping out. Good luck with the quilting part!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Audrey! I love this block! I have had it bookmarked a long time and it's on my list for someday. I like the bright fabrics you picked. Your mom will too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. lucky Mama! This is my favourite type of quilt - bright and colourful!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE this! It is beautiful and your mama is going to love it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you so much! I really really hope she does! :)

      Delete
  16. This quilt really appeals to me for sew many reasons. I love the Weathervane block. And prints that read like a solid. And a white background that makes them pop! The cornerstone sashing and wide dark border do a fabulous job of bringing all the beauty into place. Sweet, sweet quilt top, Audrey!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's like a bag full of Skittles! My favourite thing about this quilt is that from a distance the fabrics read as solids, but upon closer inspection they are tone on tones. LOVE tone on tones because they provide such depth. Solids before, now tone on tones... hmm, is there a fabric I don't like?

    ReplyDelete
  18. The traditional block with the modern color palette is so yummy! Who wouldn't love that quilt?!?! I agree with the other commenter, it reminds me of a bag of Skittles too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of the Skittles until y'all mentioned it, but YES. Total Skittles quilt. :) And since I love Skittles, I think it's a grand idea. Thank you!

      Delete
  19. If I was your Mamma, I'd be in love with that colorful quilt. So nice of you to make her one. Thanks for linking to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Totally fabulous top - I love the colours you used, makes the block have huge impact! I'm off to pin that tutorial too!

    Just flitting by on my catch up reading :) x

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is absolutely beautiful!! I love the color pallette and I'm 100% sure your mama will too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...