Friday, August 22, 2014

FF: Ikat Quilt Top.


I finished my Ikat quilt top. (Woo!) I modified the pattern from the May/June 2014 issue of Love of Quilting, meaning that instead of a throw size I only used a fraction of the blocks the pattern recommended to make a baby quilt.


This bad boy is a little wild. When I saw the original picture in the magazine, I fell head over heels in love with this quilt, and I knew I wanted to make it in the exact color scheme and spirit of the original. (Yep, blatantly copying. But how could I possibly improve on the original? I couldn't. Unless maybe I made it in pink. But since this is a Team Green quilt, probably not the best option.) But when I finished piecing all of the blocks together, it just seemed a bit too much. Then, I remembered a post from Quilting Jetgirl in which she took a super fun crazy wild orange quilt and reigned it in a bit by adding a thin border of Kona solid around the edge.


So, I did the same. (Thanks Yvonne for your awesome inspiration!) I added a two inch border of Kona black, and yeppers. I love that a whole lot more. I had originally planned to bind the quilt in black, but my backing choice vetoed that option for me, but this enables me to still frame the quilt in black while using another color for binding. It's almost like I plan this stuff, folks. (And do I have a picture of the backing fabric? Of course not. Because that would be too much awesome for one post. Let's just say, there are unicorns on the fabric.)

I have two plans for quilting, and we'll see which one wins out. The safe straight line quilting option or the slightly crazy (for me) FMQ option. It could go either way at this point. I'm glad to have the top done even if I don't have to have this bad boy done until Thanksgiving-ish. And can I just say, it took me 1.5 hours to rip the paper off the back of the blocks? Not awesome. But I'll forgive this quilt since it looks awesome. And really, when you look at the whole, you can barely see the row where my points don't line up, which just makes my little heart happy.

I'm linking up today with TGIFF hosted by Leanne at The Devoted Quilter. Woo for a finish!

6 comments:

  1. **Love** this! The black border really enhanced the feel - and unicorns? cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The black border is so perfect! I am going to tell you how I read most blog posts. Scroll up and down and admire beautiful photos. Then go back and read. But it was hard to stop looking at your final photo - it is just so lovely. What do you think you'll do for the binding now that you have the backing fabric selected? Green? White? Hot pink? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You only had problems in that one row? That's fabulous. Did you figure out how to get the points to align better, or was that one row just an anomaly?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It looks fantastic. The black border really does frame it perfectly. Thanks for linking to TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the black border! It really does suit. I tried finding your non-point matching row but I can't see it for all the awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That has such impact! And the black border idea is really genius, well remembered and applied - can't wait to see your backing and binding choices :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...