Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Six Holiday Napkins


Some months back, fabric.com ran a sale on their clearance fabrics. Heavily discounted fabrics on further markdown? Yes, please! I browsed through all 40+ pages of clearance fabric, looking for fabric that I could turn into birthday and holiday gifts, and when I stumbled across this menorah print, I had a lightbulb moment. I could totally turn these into cloth napkins for my sister. While slightly extravagant as she'll only be able to use them for a short window of time, I think it's an occasion that could use its own napkins.


I made six total, as that's about all I could squeeze out of a yard of fabric. (Which I think cost me $3.44 or something ridiculous like that.) The original plan was to back them with a tan corduroy that I had in stash, but I didn't have enough, so I found a gray instead. I assumed they would take no time at all, but I was surprised at just how much they did take. Prewashing and pressing the fabric, cutting, sewing, turning inside out, pressing, then double topstitching. That being said, I'm pleased with the finished product, and I'm excited to give them to my sister when I see her next month. (I'm even more excited to see her and my brother-in-law and my niece and nephews!)


To make things even more exciting, I found this ribbon in my ribbon stash, so while these took a bit of labor, they were fairly inexpensive cost-wise. Now, I just need to figure out what to do with the leftover menorah fabric. Maybe a matching table runner? I'll have to take a looksie through my scraps and see what I can scrounge up.

And yes, these are totally a finish from my Q3 FAL list. Woo! How is your list coming? I'm trying for one more finish before the end of the quarter, but I'm not quite sure it's going to happen. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. That's a great gift and not at all extravagant! Even though they took so long the attention to detail is really noticeable in the workmanship and her family will be able to use them for years.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...