Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Rainbow pajama pants

My linen dress and I are having a bit of a standoff. I require a more precise fit, and she is remaining mum and refusing to tell me how to best execute that. (What a jerkface, amiright?) Then, I caught sight of my fabulous new rainbow pajama pants waiting to be photographed. Game. On.


I was hunting through my sewing closet a few weeks ago for who can remember what, when I stumbled across a ziploc bag from the far away past. (Or, like ten years ago.) It was the fabric for BFF pajama pants.

I met my BFF in freshman French, and we quickly became tight pals. At this point, we've spent most of our friendship living in different cities--and even different continents at one point--but we've remained close friends, and she is my bestie. And when she was living in England, and I was in the US, I had this great idea that we would make pajama pants on one of her visits home so that way, even if we lived far apart, we'd remember each other because of our fabulous pajama pants.

I knew almost nothing about sewing. We went to Wal-Mart to pick out fabric, bought quilting cotton and a pattern that was probably for beginners, bought some fabulous trim, and cut up our fabric. I severely underestimated how much time it would take us to finish even one pair, so when she left to go back to England, I promised to finish the pairs and mail hers. I finished hers. And mine sat. For TEN YEARS.


Of course, the fabric got separated from the pattern, and I'd already cut the pattern pieces. Thankfully, pajama pants are forgiving, and my body shape hasn't changed too dramatically from college. I started assembling, guessing at the instructions. When I initially tried them on, I realized the waist band hit me extremely high. So I cut off some of the fabric. And then I cut more because they were still high waisted. And then I cut even MORE because they were still practically at my shoulders. Except that time, it was a bit too much, and now they are ultra low waist pajama pants.

Did I mention that I'm not sure we prewashed the fabric? So the first wash of these babies might be disastrous. One leg is about 1/8" shorter than the other, but you would never know if I didn't tell you, so I'm calling it golden.

Best part of the story? I called my BFF to tell her I finally had my pajama pants, and she was delighted. She still has hers. Still wears hers. Apparently they are covered in holes and about to disintegrate, but she has them. She says I can wear mine for the next ten years of our friendship, and maybe in 2025, we'll make two new pairs and wear them together. I love that we can talk about 2025 and know that we will still be besties.

This is finish 2 of 14 from my Q2 FAL list

2 comments:

  1. That is a super amazing story; I love that her are thread bare and worn. I hope I can read all about your 2025 pajama pant making party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have friends you have been friends with "forever" what a great story and a great finish!

    Visiting as a member of the official 2015 Finish-Along cheerleading squad

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...