Friday, August 5, 2016

Changing Plans.


As y'all probably know, I have a daughter on the way. (Have I talked about this enough? Can you tell I'm extremely excited?) Of course, I will be making Vanilla a quilt. It will feature what is probably a more-than-healthy amount of hot pink because OMG, I can, so I will. I've gone through multiple ideas. It seems like all of the baby quilts I've made this year have started with one idea and come out as something much different. And while that's more than a little frustrating at times--especially when I've already cut fabric!--each change was the right change.


Yesterday, I started cutting dresden wedges for Vanilla's quilt. I'd decided to use my ginormous Tula Pink stash, and I'd planned to use Tula's True Colors collection for the background fabrics. (I was undecided on the center circles, but I figured I'd have a bit of time to figure that out.) I had a sixteen FQ bundle of True Colors, was going to make 16 - 12.5" blocks, and the quilt was going to be epic.

Except, I knew it was the wrong idea about thirty seconds into the cutting. I had cut maybe six wedges before I realized this was not the quilt I wanted to make AT ALL. Not even a little bit. I cut a few more wedges. My OOP Tula Pink waste grew. I cringed at the thought of how much unusable OOP Tula this quilt would involve. And if it was the proper fit, I would do it in a heartbeat. But it's not. So I stopped cutting.

I used my wedges from yesterday, cut a few more from my scrap bins, and I pieced this dresden plate, which I'm more than a little in love with. When I get a spare moment, aka, never because I have three kids, I'll finish this up as a table runner for a spot in my front entryway that's been begging for some color. (I think this fits the bill, right?)


And as for Miss Vanilla, well, I can't get this quilt I started out of my head. This is the quilt I want to finish for Vanilla. I enjoyed making Fava's medallion quilt so very very much, and just the thought of sketching out future borders for this lovely fills me with glee. I'll most likely have to restart it from scratch--that's a long story I won't get into--so it won't look quite like this, but dare I imagine...it will be better? OH, I THINK SO.

So that's where I stand on Vanilla's quilt. I reserve the right to change my mind again, if it's the right call. But I wonder--I can't be the only one that waffles between ideas. Are you the type that picks a plan and sticks to it? Or do you make decisions as you go?

I hope y'all have the MOST LOVELIEST of weekends.

3 comments:

  1. I love both options, but am so glad you are listening to that inner voice. A medallion quilt for Vanilla will be awesome, and it's a beautiful start. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how things work our once we start cutting?! I usually never cut everything first and so changes can be accommodated very easily - who am I kidding - changes? There's never usually a plan so how can there be changes?!! The medallion quilt is going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both options are great. The colours in your dresden is striking and perfect, but how lovely to do another medallion. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a note! You've made my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...